
Matthijas was really excited about St. Patrick's Day from school, but we happen to be not at all Irish, so I have never really gotten into the holiday. However, here in Illinois we have Pulaski Day which happened to be almost back to back with Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday or as we called it in Poland "Pączki Day", so I convinced him to decorate for Polish holdays instead since that was something I felt we could get behind. I wrote all about this same time of year last year HERE.
These are some of our Polish decorations and Jasper enjoying his raspberry filled pączek.
Close up of Warsaw sketch. I didn't have the money for one of these on my mission so I bought it when Johannes and I went back in 1999.
Handmade Barbican Soldier who defended Old Town from attacks (pre-air assults)

Since Pulaski Day was a day off from school I gave Arcadia a 15 question homework assignment to get to know about Poland. Here is the list. If anyone wants an answer key just let me know.
QUESTIONS ABOUT POLAND
1. Tell me about the Trumpeter of Cracow (Kraków)?
2. Why is the Mermaid the symbol of Warsaw (Warszawa)?
3. Tell me about Danzig (Gdańsk) and the Solidarity Movement (Solidarność)?
4. Where is the Black Madonna?
5. Who was Frederic Chopin?
6. What happened during the Warsaw Uprising?
7. Who was John Paul II (Jan Paweł II)?
8. When did Poland write their first constitution?
9. What is the name of the tallest building in Warsaw? What was it for? What
is the coolest floor in the building?
10. When did Poland become a member of the European Union?
11. Who were the Teutonic Knights and what did they build in Malbork?
12. What is the name of the park with the wild bison?
13. Tell me legend of the Priest and the Prussians?
14. When did the Mongols (from Mongolia) come to Poland?
15. What is your favorite thing you learned about Poland and what would you like
to see if you ever go there?


I'd like the answer key :) What a fun day and great idea. I like your polish pottery! I want to go back to Boleslawiec for a shopping trip before we have to move.
ReplyDeleteLori- I will put that on my short to-do list.
ReplyDeleteMost of my Polish pottery I bought when I was there on my mission, but i have been known to pick up pieces at TJ MAXX and the BX. I am fond of the classic peacock pattern, but i have a few that all tie in.