Saturday, January 26, 2008

Exercise, exercise, exercise

When you can't do much else, sports and working out becomes an even more looked-forward-to part of the day. While I've been here, I've been focusing on my running and I started going to yoga as well. I've improved quite a bit with both the running and the yoga.

This Friday we had our monthly 5K, this month it was the "De-Frosty" race. I ran apersonal record of 18:50 for the over-three mile course, which was muddyfrom recent rain. I shaved almost a full minute off my time from lastweek, but still got beat by Maj Kevin Wilkinson, who is an AF JAG in ourchurch group here. I took 1oth place overall, and he was probably 8th or 9th. I was really hoping to claim the title this week ofthe "Fastest Mormon in the IZ", but I'll have to work harder, I guess. Pictured in front of the start/finish line with me are Lieutenant (Navy)Keith Fahlenkamp, who hails from the Okanagan mountains of northernWashington state, and Olga Porter, from Monterrey, CA. Both of them work with me on the big logistics contract that runs the beans, bunks and bullets of the IZ.



Pictured in the dark are Maj Kevin Wilkinson, who'll be the deputy at Ramstein this summer, Lt Col Kristen Nelson, who works in DC as acontracting officer, and Maj Kristin Petersen, whom I tried cases against when she was a defense counsel on the East coast and I was atSeymour (I won and the guy got 17 months in jail). If you're wonderingwhy the picture is so cloudy, that's actually steam coming up off us, aswe were obviously a lot warmer than the air temperature.



Lastly, here's a picture of part of our yoga group. Lt Col Nelson was our instructor and is now leaving; she wanted some pictures. Guess who's taking her place as the new yoga class leader? That's right, as you can see from the picture, there wasn't much competition for the job... I really wanted to keep doing yoga as it has really helped with my flexibility, posture and leg strength, and since nobody else volunteered, I figured the only way to keep doing it was to lead theclass myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment