Saturday, January 19, 2008

When Snow Falls in Baghdad

Well it did! The Iraqi capital wakes up to first snowfall in memory on 11 January 2008.


We had a surprise in the Green Zone today: it was snowing when I walked back from yoga to my hooch at 7 am. I woke up my roommate and asked if he had his camera handy. When I told him it was snowing, he jumped out of bed, threw some sweats on, and we took pictures. The snow was pretty wet at first, but eventually there were some great big snowflakes that stuck in my knit cap and in my roommate's hair.












































It was great to see the snow against the backdrop of the palm trees in the distance. People who've been here for 5 years say they've never seen snow before. Later we found out that it hadn’t snowed in Baghdad in 100 years. It made our day, for sure. Anything out of the ordinary to break up the daily monotony is a welcome change.




















No comments:

Post a Comment