Friday, September 28, 2007

Avanos

I just realized with the last post that I lost more pictures than I had expected when my computer crashed two weeks ago. I had some nice photos of a man throwing a pot on a wheel at the pottery shop we went to, but apparently it was one of the ones that didn't survive.

My next door neighbor is a Turkish girl and she had already told me about Avanos pottery so I was excited to see it was part of our itinerary. While there, we were given a demonstration of how the jugs, etc are hand thrown on a wheel (a modern convenience, and the process is pretty universal these days).
I did buy a clay pot which I had been told was necessary for making a number of traditional Turkish meals. When I brought it home, my nanny was so excited she offered to make chicken tava for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment