The next day we went to Göreme Open
Air Museum which we thought was a really neat place.
We could wander around the area, peek
into the rock-cut spaces.
They date mostly from the 9th century and feature Byzantine frescoes painted inside the rock chapels.
The rooms were formed by cutting into the soft volcanic tuft which is what causes the peculiar shape of the rocks in the area.
Göreme is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and for good reason.
Arcadia enjoyed climbing up into a
chapel area, where there was a lovely fresco of Jesus, which unfortunately
I can't show you because it was lost in what I will refer to from now on as "the great
crash".
Matthijas and I also looked around.
And Arcadia had the chance to make a new furry friend...

and one who was not so furry...




Thanks for sharing your adventures! I want to see those cave frescos. Your kids are getting so big!
ReplyDelete