
About 11 1/2 years ago I got my first apartment. I didn't live there alone for long, but my first furniture purchase was this funny looking old Lazyboy rocking chair. It was comfortable, funky and only $10. I never expected to keep it long, but it turned out to be a long standing fixture in our house.
First is served as a crash pad for Jake who would come by in the middle of the night after partying, and then as he was rehabilitated Jake would come by and hang out there between classes at BSU. When we headed off to Germany we distributed our meager furnishings and the chair became a party of my mother-in-laws' bedroom. She barely gave it back after 6 months and had to get her own rocking chair for her room, she became so accustomed to it.
After Germany, I became pregnant with Arcadia and when I was to uncomfortable to sleep in bed I slept on the chair. We moved the chair with us to Chicago where I spent many hours sitting in that chair rocking an unwilling baby to sleep and looking at the changing colors of Lake Michigan. It followed us back across the country again, to Boise and yet again to North Carolina, where I sat rocking Matthijas to sleep listening to the fish tank gurgle. It took a giant trip across the pond with us to Turkey where I continued to rock Matthijas (who at this point couldn't settle himself to sleep in his own).
And on it's final move back across the pond landed in the cornfields to rock my final baby Jasper to sleep listening to the storms of Southern Illinois. And now after all these journeys, and near collapse, we retire our very old friend. It lived two life times and is ready to end it's labors. So, we hauled it to the street on day, and soon it was taken away in a big blue truck. Thanks for all you did for our family. We will miss you.
was it broken? you should have refinished it.
ReplyDeleteit was broken, torn and smooshed. i looked into having it refinished in turkey and even they said it wasn't really worth it.
ReplyDelete