Friday, February 22, 2008

An excuse to shop: part 2 jewelery



I actually bought this in Gaziantep a while back. It's called the Fatma and it's the Muslim equivalent of a Catholic cross or Mormon CTR ring. Just a little reminder you you and those around you of what you believe.





Johannes bought me this chain in Baghdad but it didn't have anything else, and quite frankly a plain chain is sort of sleazy in my opinion. So I had to go in search of something to hang from it. It is a very white silver so it was a bit hard to match. Luckily I found some nice filigree work on this pendant, and the tones matched, so now I can wear my new necklace and not look like a trailer mama.




I also got myself some Turkish turquoise (by the way turquoise got its name from the fact that it is Turkish). There are only 3 places in the world to find turquoise (Turkey, Iraq and Mexico) and the dark shiny small stone is exclusive to Turkey and called Marcasite (often found in vintage jewellery, especially from the Art Deco period).










No comments:

Post a Comment