Monday, March 1, 2010

very Polish days

Lent started almost 2 weeks ago, and in my long-standing tradition of following Lent's 40day "fast" I gave up "sloth" as a follow-up to last year's purge of procrastination. Having been sick for so long I needed the extra push to get up off the couch and get moving again. But that's not my story.

More important to my story is not what I gave up, but Fat Tuesday. Oh, ya. Mardi Gras in french, but in Poland the thursday before for Lent is Pączki Day. In Illinois I am so lucky to celebrate with the Polish-American community here. In the States, it's celebrated on Fat Tuesday and I can just take the drive on over to Walmart and pick up a few boxes of pączki.




Pączki are very similar to Berliners, but generally jelly filled. I love the raspberry, but abhor the plum, which looks exactly the same from the outside. The best thing about Pączki day is that all you eat all day long is donuts. When I was in Poland we would go from appointment to appointment and eat pączki. It really is enough to cure you of sugar for about 40 days.

On top of that we have yet another Polish-American holiday to celebrate today, with a bonus guest.



Today is Casimir Pulaski day in Illinois. He was a Polish soldier, born into Polish nobility who came over to the US, joined the revolutionary Army, saved George Washington's life, became a General in the Continental Army, and eventually died in battle in Savannah, Georgia.

This year's special guest is Frederic Chopin. A Polish composer, though he spent much of his life in France. Today marks the 200th anniversary of his birth just outside Warsaw. One of the main sites to see in Warsaw, is Park Łazienkowski, with one of it's main features being a stunning sculpture of Chopin. One of the best days there is when there are live performances of his works in the park.



Although I may not be Polish, the Poles nick-named me "pół-Polka" or half-Polish, so I am here to celebrate with you some great traditions and holidays. Now excuse me, because I am off to make some Polish bread for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I hope to make it to Poland before we leave. I at least want to see Auschwitz and Krakow. My housekeeper here is Polish too ;)

    ReplyDelete