Monday, April 20, 2009

how to make my famous 3-hour baby quilt

I have often been asked to teach people how to make my basic baby quilts. They are very easy, and take only straight cuts and straight lines sewn. And a few months ago a friend's mom asked me for directions, and I lost her email when I changed accounts. So Sandy, if you are still checking in here are some photos along with step-by-step directions.



1. The first thing you need to do is chose your fabrics. I have two examples shown here. I have two prints and a solid plus a print. Either way you feel comfortable is good. When you go to get your fabric cut you will need to get 1 1/3 yards of each fabric. (1 1/4 yards is the exact amount you need but I always get a touch more to off-set crooked cutting by the fabric store.)

2. Then measure out 36" (or one yard) in both directions, length and width, and cut your main piece of fabric to be 36" X 36". That should leave you with 8-11 inches X 45-60 inches depending on the length of fabric you bought. Then cut this rectangular piece into two 4" inch wide strips, discarding any remnants. Now that you have a 4" inch strip, cut that into 4" X 4" squares until you have used up all the fabric.

3. Lay out the large piece of fabric on the table or floor right side up. Now take your first small 4" X 4" inch square. We are going to now turn that square into a triangle to use for the border.


4. Turn the square upside down.


5. Fold the square diagonally in half.



6. Fold that triangle in half again.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a cute quilt but I went and looked back in my sent mail and I was hoping to get the instructions on how to make the quilt you referred to as the 'cookies-n-creme w/mint-n-chocolate which maybe is this one! My e-mail is sandyaw53@yahoo.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete