Monday, April 20, 2009

quilt part III

1. This is when you add the batting. You can either have it cut to measure from the bulk section at the fabric store or buy it in a small roll. The ones I usually get are 45" X 60". I generally don't pre-cut the batting but line up one corner with two sides matching the fabrics, pin those down and then trim the remaining two sides to line up with the batting. This is easier for me because batting seems to shift and stretch, and always seems to need trimming in the end, so I just do this to save a step.



2. Trick #2 As you are pinning down the batting (doesn't that sound like a sailing term?) you will need to leave a small section (about 2-3 inches) open that will remain un-sewn so that we can turn this whole thing right-side out. I like to mark my start and end points with an X so that they are unmistakable.



3. Sewing again. This time we are sewing all three layers together. As you may have noticed, all the pinning occurred on the top batting layer. It is important to sew in this order so that the batting moves smoothly under the foot and needle. If you look at your machine, there are usually some rougher ridges under the foot, and if you have the batting on the bottom it will snag and get caught in the under-carriage and cause all sorts of problems and delays.

For this seam you will want to align your fabric with the first notch marked on your machine. Use that line as a guide and sew all four sides from X to X.



4. Once you are done, flip over your fabric and check the back side. Your seams should look like this. Make sure you did not veer off and at no point should your first seam, which is closer to the edge be past the outer edge of the seam. This will cause all sorts of problems.



5. Remove all pins at this time or they will forever remain inside your quilt. Find the section of the seam that looks like this. Use this opening to turn the fabric right side out. It works best to start by pulling the farther tips in first.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to make a quilt for a while because I keep seeing cute fabric. (on blogs) Probably no luck here. Sometimes things here are kinda ghetto and a little behind. Anyway I just might go get some fabric today since my nice big bucket of fabric and scraps are in storage in Idaho still...can't wait to see the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete