Thursday, April 2, 2009

tech news

Johannes has to go to SOS (staff officer school) for 5 weeks and leaves on Easter Sunday. These things are generally for the good of your career but as we have experienced they are often expensive. Remember the High Flight grooming course we got to go to in January? So this time the requirements are a bunch of different types of shoes and a laptop computer.

Well, that was just the kind of thing we expected. So, Johannes has been searching Wal-Mart's shoe dept for cleats and high-tops and has his new racing flats from Christmas. However, our laptop is 8 years old and even after I recently went through and doubled the memory cards it cannot function in today’s world. It has been living in a retirement community for old tech gear in our storage closet since Johannes returned from Iraq. Which means we had to go buy a new one. Luckily, we have very few requirements for a home computer, so we were able to get a new Dell for $499 at Best Buy. Can you believe it? Our first laptop cost us $2000 more than that back in 2001.  So, now we have a new laptop for travel and maybe watching movies in bed. I have to admit I am already liking the Windows Vista and all of the shortcuts on the desktop. 

Oh, and in other tech news Johannes got a new phone, so now we both have the LG env2 (and I just got the GPS navigation on mine so I don’t get lost and have to call Johannes at his office to talk me through the mess which is St. Louis freeways). So now both of us can have internet access all the time.

So here are our new toys : our laptop is bluedell

and our phones: mine is red and his is black.phone

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I liked your phone too. Someday I will have a cell phone again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you and all your new toys!! How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, the world of technology. We wonder if we'll need cell phones when we go back. We don't think we will, but we'll see how long it last.
    The people who now live in your house here aren't as cool. It took PJ a long time afterward to stop running up your sidewalk. I think she liked and secretly knew that Arcadia would be watching for her.
    Matthijas is getting big. How is school working for him? It's nice that there are so many programs now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun new gadgets! Remember when we didn't have cell phones? Or laptops? Or email? Or blogs?

    ReplyDelete