I wouldn't say we go nearly that far but I can't think of a better word than "idolize" to describe how we feel about Morrissey. That man is a musical. lyrical genius and has had such an impact on our lives, we have been waiting nearly 20 years to see him in person.

I have been surprised by how many people have no idea who he is. I highly recommend looking him up. You will be amazed you lived you life without him. All I can say he is the godfather of a musical genre, like Elvis, but he has aged much better.

He just put out a new album and I was wondering if he might tour and was astounded to learn he was coming to St. Louis, and on a very limited tour schedule. He wasn't going any further west on this tour than here. I bought tickets, then called Johannes to tell him we were going.

Johannes was worried that I hadn't been able to get balcony seats and that we may not be able to see anything in the pit. Then, he worried that we would have to get there really early to get a decent spot. We showed up about 15 minutes prior to the opening band The Courteeners (really fantastic band by the way) and were got into the third "row" of the pit. We were about 5-8 feet from Morrissey half the night.

But my crowning achievement of the night was when I saw the lead guitarist flick his pick into the crowd, watched it sail past the girl in front of me, then felt it hit my foot. It took me a few minutes to find it, but I ended up finding not one, but two picks, and Johannes got another. We gave one away to the even shorter couple we were standing in front of since they weer nice, effusive over my find, and we were totally blocking their chances to get their own.

I have never understood groupies before. Why would you want to see the same show over and over again? I now understand. I keep wanting to go back and see it again, like a re-run or going back to see a movie again in the theater. But, sadly I can't.

The saddest part of all however, is that I have just about run through my musical "to do" list. Johannes still want to see Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I would love to see Bjork (though if I don't I can be happy that I once saw her sitting on the park bench in front of my apartment in Warsaw, which is closer than most people get to her) I am pretty much done; and that makes me feel old.
No comments:
Post a Comment