Friday, April 10, 2009

my victory garden

Arcadia has been watching some of the American Girl movies lately. One is about Kit a young girl in the Depression Era, and another is about a girl Molly in WWII. Both of which have some experiences which are fairly relevant to the current situation.

Back in the old days, before the war and before we had kids, we lived in student housing at BSU. There were these tiny little garden plots behind our apartment which were left over victory gardens from WWII. I had a successful run there until neighborhood kids started picking my strawberries and smashing my peppers.

Fast forward almost 10 years and we are in military housing on poisoned land. Well, they don't say it in so many words but we are not allowed to plant edibles because of the use of heavy pestisides in the past on this land when it was a corn field.
But, seeing as we are in a depression and a war it seems prudent to fall back on the victory garden idea. So, I went out and got some cheap plastic pots and I am experimenting with my first ever potted patio garden. I mostly bought herbs and veggies to make salsa with later in the summer. I want to figure out how to plant some zucchini and pumpkins. I am thinking about buying a $5 blue plastic swimming pool, filling it with dirt and using that as my fall harvesting garden, unless someone has a better idea.

 
Posted by Picasa
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. The pool is a great idea and I think the cheapest. I think I can finally start working on a garden. The snow is pretty much all melted this week! Yea!!!

    ReplyDelete