Friday, October 24, 2008

3 Million dollar overhead projector



Not this kind...THIS ONE.


OK McCain. Bring it on. I am fuming mad about his one. I mean really. Of all the things you can complain about! There is not enough money going around for education and then when there is a chance to put some good money into a fabulous tool for advancing Math and Science education in this country you slam it! It boggles the mind.

I have been to this Planetarium, multiple times. It is amazing. It was the fist planetarium built in the Western Hemisphere for goodness sakes! There aren't replacement parts for the machine anywhere and it has to be completely replaced because of this. Major planets can't be seen in the demonstration because thier lights can't be replaced. But even with that obstacle it's incredible.

The planetarium does this amazing demonstration over the Christmas holiday that we love. It shows you what the skies looked like the year that Jesus was born in Bethlehem ... from the view of Bethlehem. It gives possible scientific explanations for the star and information about the wisemen who followed it.


I was listening to the statistics on NPR and something like 57% of all visitors to the Adler Planetarium are not from Chicago or Illinois (I happen to know personally that this is trackable because they ask you for your zip code when you buy tickets). This is a national treasure! Just because it's in Chicago not part of the Smithsonian in DC does not make it any less so. What a diversionary tactic, and a lame one at that.

Watch out McCain...you pick on Chicago and you will totally lose any chance at getting our votes.

See the night sky from Adler Planetarium www.adlerplanetarium.org

Here is the link to the NPR discussion from today:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96092758

No comments:

Post a Comment