Johannes and I agreed upon the Libertarian party 8 years ago the first time Bush ran for office. I tend to run more socialist and Johannes is a free market economist, so our votes cancel each other out. And then one day we discovered that in fact we are Libertarians and we have clung to and promoted that party ever since. At the end of this smattering of ideas I'll add the worlds smallest political quiz. I highly recommend it, because although you may think you are of a certain party, this sometimes help clarify you agreeing more with a smaller party or even the opposite party. And it's really OK to be Mormon and not a republican.
So we listen to NPR a lot especially during the campaigns, and talk about the issues like everyone else, but Johannes said something interesting to me the other day that I have been thinking about. He said, "I think I've decided that I hope Obama becomes president". I looked at him in stunned silence. He had been leaning toward McCain for military and economic reasons, until the past few weeks with the economic markets in ruin. Then I asked him why, not knowing what to expect. His answer really surprised me. He said, I hope he wins because then black parents (and all other minorities for that matter) across the country and around the world can tell their kids "If you study hard and are a good person then maybe one day you too can grow up to be president", I can't say that to my kids.
We sat in silence for a while and I thought about that, especially in relation to the last conference when we were reminded about a lot of the trials of the early saints and their persecutions that they endured. It's sad that we had a candidate like Mitt Romney who would have been an ideal man to have leading our nation in a time of financial disarray,but he was a Mormon. I like Obama on many things, McCain has a few good points, but I agree with Johannes that it's sad that being smart and honest and experienced isn't going to cut it if you are a Mormon. People are going to always see you with those prejudicial blinders on. And I'm so glad he never backed away from his beliefs, because he was not ashamed.
I find it strange that people would want to vote for Sarah Palin whose views are way more skewed than any average Mormon's, and that being "a heart-beat away" from the presidency as the news outlets say, McCain chose her over Romney. You can't even be vice-president as a Mormon. I'm just disappointed all around, but I think Johannes is right that someone's kids need a good role model, possibly even more than we need a good president. We have had a number of bad presidents and things eventually turn around, but what a difference a good role model could make in the lives of so many kids! Hopefully the Mormon kids around the world have plenty of good role-models, so we can let the role of President pass to a man who could inspire a whole generation of youth lacking good male role models. I think about the kids we knew in Chicago and what an inspiration it would be to have someone tell them and all their friends that they can be anything they want to be, not just that they should try to be a pro-athlete or they'll end up a drug dealer or un-wed teenage mother.
I'm not really meaning to promote or endorse anyone, except the Libertarians
(go LP!), just mulling things over in my brain in public. I hope every one who plans on voting is registered, and studying the issues as much as they can, and not being swayed by rumours or slick ads. No matter your beliefs if you are not well informed, you may be wrong, and that can do more harm than good in the election.
Here is some non-partisan recommended reading and the world's smallest political quiz.
The link to the online quiz:
http://www.theadvocates.org/quizp/index.html
The Proper Role of Government, by Ezra Taft Benson
http://www.properroleofgovt.org/
Happy Voting!
That was a good thought Johann had. I would have to agree. I think right now it's almost more important for kids to have a good role model since families these days don't always have one.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your thoughts. I took the quiz and turns out I'm a Centrist. Thanks for the links!
ReplyDelete