Friday, December 14, 2007

Whirling Dervishes Denied

I had this fantastic trip planned for this weekend. I rented a car, got a place to stay with our Nanny's sister, I turned down the office party. We were going to Konya! It's the 800th anniversary of the founder of the Whirling Dervishes and we were on our way. Until tonight the trip was on, and then... the phone rang. My Nanny's husband called to tell us that the roads through the mountains up to Konya have been closed due to a combination of snow, black ice and fog. RATS!!! I was about to cry. I haven't been so disappointed in a really long time, and poor Arcadia has really been looking forward to it. I really planned the trip because she is fascinated with these men who twirl in long white dresses.
So, I am attempting to save our weekend. I checked the weather all over and finally decided we will head to Tarsus tomorrow instead. It is the hometown of the Apostle Paul, where Antony and Cleopatra met and the burial place of the prophet Daniel. I'll take as many pictures as the weather permits. Then Sunday we are going to finally tour the enormous Sabanci Mosque in Adana with my Nanny and her daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment