
Despite access to the commissary where we have turkeys brought in from Germany via Uzbekistan, we had a Turkey day in Turkey without a turkey in sight. We had Korean ribs, cabbage salad, spinach dip, fruit but no gravy or stuffing or cranberries. We did have rolls and pumpkin cheesecake but that was as close as we came. For some reason none of us were in the mood for the traditional stuff, and we had more of a potluck than a traditional feast. The kids picked at their BBQ chicken and Matthijas was given a holiday and was able to eat a wheat roll.
And while our dinner was unusual and interrupted twice by calls to prayer (it was one of those long dinners) it was probably no further from the first Thanksgiving than what we now consider traditional. We were a bunch of transients finding our way in a new country, relying a lot of times on a few words, sign-language and universal humanism to get by. It was interesting to find ourselves again in a foreign land on Thanksgiving (this time Johannes and I didn't manage to even be in the same foreign land).
A lot of the things we think of as being American tend to be attached to places or things or a feeling of patriotism, but I've learned that I don't have to be patriotic or in America or surrounded by American things to understand why people were willing to travel to a new land to set up home in order to be true to themselves and their beliefs. I think anyone who has immigrated, or emigrated for that matter, can have empathy for the hardships the Pilgrims endured and an understanding of how grateful they were to give their children a chance to see a different world and the opportunity to let them grow in a new environment, even if it is difficult, because it will make them better and more tolerant human beings.
And while our dinner was unusual and interrupted twice by calls to prayer (it was one of those long dinners) it was probably no further from the first Thanksgiving than what we now consider traditional. We were a bunch of transients finding our way in a new country, relying a lot of times on a few words, sign-language and universal humanism to get by. It was interesting to find ourselves again in a foreign land on Thanksgiving (this time Johannes and I didn't manage to even be in the same foreign land).
A lot of the things we think of as being American tend to be attached to places or things or a feeling of patriotism, but I've learned that I don't have to be patriotic or in America or surrounded by American things to understand why people were willing to travel to a new land to set up home in order to be true to themselves and their beliefs. I think anyone who has immigrated, or emigrated for that matter, can have empathy for the hardships the Pilgrims endured and an understanding of how grateful they were to give their children a chance to see a different world and the opportunity to let them grow in a new environment, even if it is difficult, because it will make them better and more tolerant human beings.
I think you guys are amazing. You not only have to the desire and bravery to take your family and serve abroad, but you enjoy it so thoroughly. You take every advantage to see and learn new things. I love hearing about your adventures.
ReplyDelete